A key strategy to reducing your food waste at home is learning to use similar ingredients in different ways.
I originally made this sauce as a salad dressing. I had leftover spinach that was wilting, along with a large basil plant in the garden. In lieu of pesto, I thought I’d make a super nutrient-rich salad dressing.
Use What You Have
I was inspired by some viral cooking videos showing how to make a “Green Goddess” dressing, using avocado and parsley. I didn’t have either of those, so I substituted other green stuff.
Instead of avocado, I used spinach and olive oil.
Instead of parsley, I used basil and mint from my herb garden.
We ate it over our salad for dinner, and I had quite a bit leftover.
The following day, I decided to try the sauce over some cheese tortellini with spinach that I had leftover from two days ago. Another fantastic zero waste cooking recipe is born!
This easy to make sauce doubles as a salad dressing/veggie dip/veggie sauce, or a pasta sauce. Enjoy!!
Super Green Super Sauce
- 1/2 cup Plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Juice from one lime or lemon
- 2 cups Greens I used a cup of spinach and a cup (total) of fresh basil and mint
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Combine all ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend until combined and smooth. You may have to scrape down the blender jar halfway through.