Summer months are a great time to add more vegetables to your diet. I have found that most adults who say they don’t like vegetables have had very limited exposure to them, or maybe have only had them prepared one way. Let’s say you grew up being offered only boiled vegetables – chances are you are not a veggie lover. This is why it’s always great to keep an open mind about continuing to try new foods, prepared in new ways, throughout your lifetime!
Zucchini is a summer squash variety and can be prepared a variety of ways. It’s not only a tasty veggie, it cooks quickly, is really low in calories, and provides some vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber to your diet. If you haven’t tried any in a while, it’s easy to find fresh zucchini from your farmer’s market or grocery store.
I wanted to share this super-simple recipe that I created, inspired by visits to a French restaurant. They didn’t give me the recipe, but I re-created it for myself as best as I could – I sometimes will “cheat” and use a jarred tomato sauce instead of their homemade tomato coulis to save time, but the end result is about as yummy as theirs! Even my teenage son tried this and liked it. This dish makes a great first course or side dish and is so easy and delicious! If you’re looking for something to bring to your next picnic or barbecue, this dish is it.
Easy Zucchini Rollatini
- 1 medium zucchini sliced thin longways, 1/8 inch thickness
- 1-2 TB olive oil
- sea salt
- 4 ounces Boursin Cheese or another soft herb cheese
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce jarred basil, or homemade marinara
- Heat Grill on medium-high
- Wash zucchini and gently scrub skin. Slice zucchini, long-wise, carefully with knife, or use a mandoline slicer (tips for kitchen tools in our DASH Diet For Dummies® cookbook). Drizzle olive oil onto zucchini. Use pastry brush to evenly coat each slice. Lightly salt slices.
- Place zucchini slices onto hot grill using tongs. Watch closely and turn when black lines appear and vegetable becomes translucent. Continue cooking on other side for a few more minutes. Remove to plate.
- Allow zucchini slices to cool slightly.
- Spread tomato sauce lightly onto medium serving plate.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of the herbed cheese onto one end of a slice of zucchini. Roll zucchini up, place onto serving plate coated in sauce.
- Continue step 6 for each zucchini slice and refrigerate until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I recommend products from time to time. A mandoline slicer can make it easier to thinly slice the zucchini for this dish.