Looking to add more fruit to your day? Sure, you can grab a banana or an apple. However there are many more creative ways to add more fruit into your diet. Fresh, canned or dried, fruit provides important antioxidants and potassium to your diet.
Here are 5 easy ways to include fruit with more meals:
- Top oatmeal or cold cereal with fresh blueberries or canned peaches.
- Add dried fruit to your salads and slaws.
- Add raisins or chopped apricots to stews.
- Puree fresh or frozen fruit it into a smoothie.
- Use it in a fruit salsa to top fish, pork or chicken like the one below.
This fruit salsa pairs well with fish, pork or poultry. It's easy to make, and can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 2 TB minced onion
- 2 TB red bell pepper diced
- 1 shishito pepper diced
- 2 TB Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB cilantro chopped
- Mix mango, onion and peppers in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Whisk oil with lemon juice until combined. Add cilantro and mix.
- Pour olive oil mixture into mango mixture and stir well.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to three days.
- Serve atop fish or shellfish, pork tenderloin or baked chicken.