The updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans include recommendations to include fish each week in your diet. Fish is a good source of protein, low in saturated fat and cholesterol, a good source of B vitamins, Vitamin D, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. These types of fats are also important to heart, eye and brain health.
Easy ways to enjoy Salmon
Salmon is a nutrient dense source of omega-3 fatty acids. There are many ways to enjoy it – smoked, canned or fresh. You can use smoked salmon to top bagels at breakfast or add it to pasta. While smoked salmon is high in sodium, it is a convenient way to add this omega-rich fish. If you are following a low sodium diet, adjust your intake of other foods high in sodium on the day you enjoy smoked salmon.
Canned or Pouch Salmon
Canned salmon is another super convenient way to add omega-3 fatty acids to your meals. Add a a tablespoon of low-fat Greek yogurt, a half teaspoon of mustard, and finely chopped onion and celery to a pouch of salmon for a quick salmon salad to use in sandwiches or wraps, or to top a green salad. You can find more recipes here.
All fish cooks quickly making it easier to get dinner on the table. You can quickly grill, broil or bake salmon filets, and serve them with savory or sweet toppings. Try this Grilled Salmon with Fruit Salsa recipe from Cindy Kleckner.
Grilled Salmon Fillets with Fruit Salsa
- 3/4 cup fresh mango peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 small ripe nectarine pitted and diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 4 4-ounce salmon fillets with skin on
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- To make a fruit salsa, combine the mango, nectarine, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro (or your choice of fresh herbs). Cover and chill for one hour or more.
- Preheat your grill on high; then lower the temperature to moderate heat. Pour the olive oil into a small prep bowl. Using a basting brush, lightly brush the surface of the fish with olive oil. Place the fish skin-side-down on the grill and cook for 10 minutes per inch.
- Transfer fish to platter and top with the chilled fruit salsa.