I know a lot of people who eat at least one banana a day. Yet it seems that no matter how you try to pick the perfect bunch, you usually end up with a couple of overripe ones. Waste not. Muffins to the rescue!
Worried about carbs? Don’t be. The issue with carbohydrates is often portion size, not the food itself. The size of a bakery muffin is often 2-3 times the serving of one homemade muffin. Standard muffin tins are the size that muffins are supposed to be! My banana muffin recipe is so quick and easy that you’ll never want to buy muffins at the store anymore. It’s also lower in sugar than a typical bakery muffin.
Chew the Facts® on Bananas
Bananas are loaded with heart-healthy potassium. They’re also a source of vitamins B6, C and other healthy nutrients. A medium banana provides 80-90 calories, 2.5 grams of fiber, and about 22 grams of carbohydrate. If you have high blood pressure, a banana-a-day habit is a good one. One banana serves as two servings of fruit (out the the ten total servings of fruits and vegetables you are shooting for with DASH).
Do Bananas Count if They’re in Muffins?
Heck yeah! Of course, you’d have to eat three of these muffins to get those two servings of fruit, so I wouldn’t recommend that (each muffin is about 175 calories). Nonetheless, one homemade banana muffin does count toward your daily fruit intake. The banana and its potassium and nutrients are still in there.
If you find yourself with overripe bananas, mix up a quick batch of these muffins. Start to finish they only take about 30 minutes (with one bowl, one fork, one spoon, and a 6-cup muffin tin). These are great for overnight guests too since you can quickly make them in the morning.
Six Quick Banana Muffins
- Silicone muffin pan
- 2 bananas, overripe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 TB butter, melted, and cooled
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour can use 1/2 cup white, 1/2 whole wheat
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 6-muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Peel bananas, place into a medium mixing bowl. Smash bananas with a fork, and stir until mashed completely.
- Add sugar to the bananas and stir well
- Add egg to banana mixture, stir and combine.
- Add cooled butter and vanilla extract to banana mixture and stir well.
- Mix flour with salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to banana mixture and stir until dry mixture is just combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into 6 muffin pan. Sprinkle tops with chocolate chips (if desired).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until lightly browned.
The recipe contains affiliate links to Amazon products. If purchases, I receive a small commission.