Beans are good food. They are loaded with fiber and important B vitamins as well as magnesium, potassium and protein. A half cup of beans provides about 7 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. Canned beans are also really economical and easy to prepare.
This layered dip is a crowd-pleaser and super quick and easy to put together, even at the last minute. To make it healthier and high protein, I use vegetarian, fat-free refried beans (traditional refried beans use lard), non fat Greek yogurt (to save calories and add extra protein), and lots of chopped fresh peppers on top.
Healthier Layered Dip
- 1 15-oz can vegetarian, fat free refried beans
- 1 cup nonfat Plain Green yogurt
- 2 TB low sodium taco seasoning
- 3-4 small avocadoes
- 1-2 TB lime juice from 1-2 limes
- 3 bell peppers, finely chopped use a variety of colors - red, orange, yellow, green
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 2.25 oz can black olives drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese you can also use a shredded Mexican blend
- TB chopped cilantro if desired
- Open refried beans and put into a microwave safe glass 2-cup measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, checking and stirring at 1 minute, until mixture is smooth.
- Spread beans evenly onto a large oval platter.
- Mix Greek yogurt with taco seasoning mix until completely blended. Dollop the yogurt onto the bean mixture, and gently spread over the beans, almost to the edge.
- Mash the avocado, and add lime juice. Blend. Spread avocado mixture onto yogurt.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the avocado.
- Combine the chopped bell peppers, olives and tomatoes in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the bean mixture.
- Finally, add the cilantro if desired. You can also add some jalapeno pepper slices, or add a few drops of hot sauce over the top for some heat.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips and cut vegetables.