Beans are good food. They are loaded with fiber and important B vitamins as well as magnesium, potassium and protein. A half cup of beans provides about 7 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. Canned beans are also really economical and easy to prepare.
This layered dip is a crowd-pleaser and super quick and easy to put together, even at the last minute. To make it healthier and high protein, I use vegetarian, fat-free refried beans (traditional refried beans use lard), non fat Greek yogurt (to save calories and add extra protein), and lots of chopped fresh peppers on top.
Healthier Layered Dip
This easy layered dip is high in protein and low in fat. A crowd pleaser that can be put together quickly, travels well, and can be made ahead of time. Serve with tortilla chips and fresh veggies for dipping.
Servings 8 people
- 1 15-oz can vegetarian, fat free refried beans
- 1 cup nonfat Plain Green yogurt
- 2 TB low sodium taco seasoning
- 3-4 small avocadoes
- 1-2 TB lime juice from 1-2 limes
- 3 bell peppers, finely chopped use a variety of colors - red, orange, yellow, green
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 2.25 oz can black olives drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese you can also use a shredded Mexican blend
- TB chopped cilantro if desired
- Open refried beans and put into a microwave safe glass 2-cup measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, checking and stirring at 1 minute, until mixture is smooth.
- Spread beans evenly onto a large oval platter.
- Mix Greek yogurt with taco seasoning mix until completely blended. Dollop the yogurt onto the bean mixture, and gently spread over the beans, almost to the edge.
- Mash the avocado, and add lime juice. Blend. Spread avocado mixture onto yogurt.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the avocado.
- Combine the chopped bell peppers, olives and tomatoes in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the bean mixture.
- Finally, add the cilantro if desired. You can also add some jalapeno pepper slices, or add a few drops of hot sauce over the top for some heat.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips and cut vegetables.
This looks good. Im gonna have to give it a try.
You have given me better information about it. Thank you.
Nice to read this. Thank you
Looks so good. Must to try this.
Thank you for sharing