I will be blogging this month about how you can incorporate beef into your healthy diet. These posts are sponsored by the Northeast Beef Promotion Initiative and the Pennsylvania Beef Council, but are expressions of my own.
While the DASH Diet is heavy on plants (fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds) it also includes dairy products and allows for lean meats. Our Bold and Beefy Slow-Cooker Stew from DASH Diet For Dummies® is a perfect example of how you can incorporate lean beef into your DASH Diet.
This video shows you how simple it is to put this meal together. You can have everything chopped and ready the night before, store in the refrigerator. Then in the morning, it only takes five minutes to put it into your slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours (you can shorten cooking time to 5-6 hours, with the setting on high).
Bold and Beefy Slow-Cooker Stew
- 1 cup Sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 1/2 pounds new red potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pound lean beef round steak
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- one 8-ounce bag baby cut carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 TB salt-free herb mixture
- 2 TB flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Rehydrate tomatoes by placing them in a small glass bowl of very warm water and letting them sit for 15 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop (I soaked them in a 1/2 cup water and used the water as part of the liquid).
- Clean the potatoes with water, scrub them, and cut in half or in 1-inch size cubes. Cut the onion into 1-inch chunks.
- Cut the beef into 1/2 inch cubes. Salt with sea salt (you can use less or no salt)
- Combine the rehydrated tomatoes, potatoes, onion, beef, baby carrots, 2 cups water, wine, and salt-free herb mixture in a 3 1/2-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are tender (or cook on high for 5-6 hours).
- Stir the flour into 1/4 cup cold water and mix until smooth. Add one ladle of stew broth to the flour mixture. Gradually stir the mixture into the hot stew. Cover, turn the slow cooker to high heat, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.