Whole grains are an important part of the DASH Diet plan. Try quinoa as an ingredient to create these Quinoa Cakes. A nice addition to your Lenten table perhaps.
Easy Quinoa Cakes
Rosanne Rust, MS, RDN, LDN www.rustnutrition.com
Servings 12 patties
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cook per package instructions)
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 TB chopped chives
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 TB grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs (more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bow, mix to combine.
- Add ingredients through garlic.
- Add the bread crumbs and combine well.
- Form into small balls, about 2 inches in diameter. If mixture is too wet, add bread crumbs. If too dry, add a bit of water.
- Place each ball onto a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil spray. Pat down into “cake” (disc) Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. (you can also pan-fry them in olive oil, flipping once)
You can serve these as an appetizer or as a side. You can add a variety of herbs (fresh thyme or dill) or other vegetables (chopped mushrooms, minced peppers – sautéed ahead) to them as well. Garnish with fresh arugula or baby greens, if desired.